CWD

Home Forums Deer, What Else? CWD

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Macy Ledbetter 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

ducky
    Participant

I have been reading some interesting posts from other web sites…Exactly how does the CWD disease effect us consuming the meat? My second question is, how many hunters or consumers have caught the disease? What are the symptoms… when a human catches this disease? Some of the hunters say we should be giving parks and wildlife a sample of our deer for testing. If this is so…why isn’t parks and wildlife putting out information telling us what we should be doing? What does CWD look like..can you see symptoms on the animals?
    I’m not wanting to alarm anyone but I just think we should be more informed…and we probably were informed in some way and I just missed it. I have heard about p&w testing deer in commercial areas…such as ranches raising deer.
    Makes since to me that if you have to test animals in a commercial setting we should be also testing wild deer also.
    So…Macy what can ya tell us and bring us up to date with facts as you know them on this bad disease. Some hunters are saying they would not eat meat from an older deer..what say you Macy? What …if any facts can you share with us here?

thanks, for your new website as it surely will grow with all your knowledge

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

Great questions indeed. CWD is a central nervous disease so consuming meat will NOT affect you. As long as you don’t cross contaminate with the brains, spinal cord or bone marrow, all will be good. Dr. Walter Cook, head vet at the TAMU vet lab in College Station, Tx has himself killed and consumed elk with CWD and testified that there is no harm in consuming the meat.
    You haven’t seen much from TPWD regarding carcass disposal or carcass movement or even of the intended CWD check stations yet because that would interfere with hunting license sales. The bulk of license are purchased on or before October 1 each year so you can expect to see more details in print from them once the bulk of the licenses are sold and they have earned their monies.
    There has NEVER been one deer in Texas killed from CWD, ever. The disease was first found in wild free ranging mule deer coming from New Mexico. TPWD killed seventeen pregnant mule deer does in August because New Mexico was recording many cases closer and closer to the border. And the fact that a brand new mule deer DMP law was just created that they did not agree with so they killed those pregnant does in the summer and sure enough, found CWD. CWD is like anything else, the more you look for it, the more you likely will find it. So they stopped the momentum of the DMP law dead in it’s tracks, denied landowners the right to use the new law and then started looking for more mule deer. Two years later, five more mule deer were found with CWD. So in all, seven free ranging mule deer have been confirmed with CWD with little fanfare or concern. The first CWD in Texas whitetail were found behind a double high fence in a pen and people went crazy. TAHC and TAMU vets testified that CWD is a natural disease and that 22 other states and two Canadian provinces currently have CWD with NO negative deer herd impacts EXCEPT where the state agencies did the scorched earth removal method. Today, those areas now have a higher CWD infection rate than pre slaughter and all states have learned to live and accept it.
    So CWD is like a rattlesnake–it deserves respect and space but it is not cause to stop the presses.
    This fall, TPWD will be increasing their wild deer monitoring. I hosted the very first CWD workshop with TPWD back in 2002 and we learned the technique of brain stem removal. Starting in 2003, deer have been tested for CWD and today we have tested about 60,000 whitetails before we finally found it. So is this a huge problem, no. Is this something to be concerned with and keep an eye on, yes. Will this devastate the deer herd of Texas, no.

I will eat meat from every deer I kill this year, both mule deer and whitetail. I plan to hunt all over Texas shooting whitetails ranging from does to mature bucks and I will kill mule deer in west Texas as well as the Texas panhandle. I will feed that meat to my family and never think twice about it.

Macy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A comprehensive wildlife & habitat management company