Best time to trap and transport bred does

Home Forums Deer, What Else? Best time to trap and transport bred does

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Macy Ledbetter 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Cathy
    Keymaster

Monday, January 27, 2014
    barbecueman
    The trap site rut was going strong the week before Thanksgiving and went thru Christmas. Is it better to transport these does early in their pregnancy or later or does it matter? I’m leaning toward as soon as possible while it’s cooler.
    Thanks
    Barbecueman

Cathy
    Keymaster

Monday, January 27, 2014
    Macy

The trapping period in Texas is September 1 through March 31. Of course, if you plan to trap bred does in North or Central Texas, the primary rut is early November and in South Texas is is late December.
    Personally, I prefer to move them in February because the weather is cold, the wind is normally low and predictable and the does have been through at least two estrus cycles to ensure they are indeed pregnant.
    So by minimizing stress with lower temperatures and moving them sooner in pregancy than later, we have a much higher fawn survivial rate with those females and that is critically important to the ranch receiving those deer.

I am in the office today in fact finalizing most of the applications and permits and preparing to trap more than 450 deer throughout February. I try hard to stay out of March because it is normally warm and windy and that is not good for beast or machinery.

The TTT program is a great way to jump start any program for sure but it takes several months of prior planning and sometimes extra harvest pressure on the release site end to make it happen. As with any state permittting process dealing with native deer, it is a very long and tedious process for sure.

Macy

Ken
    Participant

Macy,

Do you have any recommendations on how to release transported does? Is it best to release on soft pens and let them have fawns or straight to the pasture.

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

The majority of folks release the wild bred does captured using the TTT permit straight into the pasture. I normally move the majority of the TTT does in February to ensure they are bred and then simply release them into the pasture. The soft release is a substation investment in resources and the law says you can only hold them for thirty days so that investment in material and space doesn’t seem too wise in the big picture of things. And most folks only release TTT deer once or twice over many years so the soft release pen sits there unused for many years.

This February I will be catching and moving 650 TTT deer throughout Texas. All will be released straight into the pastures.

Macy

Ken
    Participant

Macy,

Thanks for the input.

Ken

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

This month is a very busy month catching bred does using the TTT permit. As mentioned above, the temperatures are cooler and the timing is ideal. I have already moved 110 does this week and another 130 planned before the week is up. The TTT permit is a win:win for landowners. It quickly and easily helps control the numbers from the trap site and quickly and efficiently improves the genetics of the release site. A release site is gaining YEARS of genetic gains using this permit and one thing people like saving more than money is TIME.

Macy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A comprehensive wildlife & habitat management company