Brow Tine Question

Home Forums Deer, What Else? Brow Tine Question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Cathy 4 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Cathy
    Keymaster

Monday, December 16, 2013
    barbecueman
    Asking the experts. If a buck reaches 2 1/2 years of age and has either missing brow tines or less-than-desireable brow tines will he ever develope good brow tines or is it already cast in stone? Seems to me (a novice) that brow tine characteristics are highly genetic traits. Am I wrong? I better be right or it’s too late for 3 of these guys.
    LR

Cathy
    Keymaster

Macy

Relax, you got it right man! Some good research has come out of TPWD’s Kerr WMA deer pens over the past 40 or so years. One of the best studies, in my opinion, proved that brow tine characteristics (present or not, long or short) is the number one most heritable genetic trait of all the antler traits. That is right, more heritable than spread, number of points, mass or tine length.
    So if you have bucks with short or missing brow tines and you don’t like them or want to see more of them, whack ’em dead.

Most two year olds should have substantial brow tines. If they are missing one or both, definitely whack him but if both are only marginal or average, leave him for at least one more year. Few deer herds need buck culling at two years of age so it is always better to error on the conservative side and let him walk one more year while shooting the three does standing next to him. The historic drought of 2011 produced very few fawns so most Texas ranches have very few two year old bucks this year. In order to not shoot out the remaining age class, I would elect to give two year olds a pass if there is any doubt whether he is good or not.

Macy

Cathy
    Keymaster

Macy

Relax, you got it right man! Some good research has come out of TPWD’s Kerr WMA deer pens over the past 40 or so years. One of the best studies, in my opinion, proved that brow tine characteristics (present or not, long or short) is the number one most heritable genetic trait of all the antler traits. That is right, more heritable than spread, number of points, mass or tine length.
    So if you have bucks with short or missing brow tines and you don’t like them or want to see more of them, whack ’em dead.

Most two year olds should have substantial brow tines. If they are missing one or both, definitely whack him but if both are only marginal or average, leave him for at least one more year. Few deer herds need buck culling at two years of age so it is always better to error on the conservative side and let him walk one more year while shooting the three does standing next to him. The historic drought of 2011 produced very few fawns so most Texas ranches have very few two year old bucks this year. In order to not shoot out the remaining age class, I would elect to give two year olds a pass if there is any doubt whether he is good or not.

Macy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A comprehensive wildlife & habitat management company