Macy is Back

Home Forums Deer, What Else? Macy is Back

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Macy Ledbetter 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Chris
    Participant

I am so glad!! I have learned so much from being able to read discussions and articles Macy has written. I am looking forward to see this site grow.

Here is a Val Verde County buck. First year on this place and it hasn’t been hunted in 5 years.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Kegan
    Participant

Looks like a pedicle injury.I sure hope he is careful when rubbing out of velvet. It’d be a shame for him to break off that tine around his eye! The other guys with him at the feeder are all good looking deer as well. Goodluck!

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

Good stuff here fellas, it does feel good to be back and in the saddle again. Thank you for being here and posting great photos. Kegan is correct, as he normally is! Pedicle damage creates some cool antler configurations indeed but they are normally very weak and brittle points. Most of the time they disappear the following year once the injury recovers too so don’t expect the weird stuff year after year.
    It is going to be a great hunting season this fall.

Macy

Chris
    Participant

Well here is a follow up on this buck. No pedicle damage that I could see. The drop time did break off it was connected at the bottom of the second main beam. Wasn’t sure how to score him.

Chris
    Participant

Trying to load pics

Chris
    Participant

Trying again

Attachments:

Chris
    Participant

Got it

Attachments:

Chris
    Participant

After cropping the photo and getting a closer look I wonder why he has the depressions on his skull between the antlers.

Cathy
    Keymaster

Hey Chris,
    If you don’t mind, can you tell me what was the size of the original photo you tried to upload? I can increase file size limits but need to know by how much. Macy’s in a helicopter in West Texas right this second but I will direct him to your question above as soon as I can get him rounded up.

Thanks!

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

Looks like some minor pedicle damage, thus the double or extra main beam. Those extra beams tend to be fragile, brittle almost and oftentimes break off when fighting or sometimes after the shot.

I measured a monster Gillespie County native buck this morning. As he hit the ground, a 3″ drop tine broke off. Luckily they found the tine and brought it with them for me to measure. It was a perfect fit back into the original location so I measured it as if it were still present. Both Boone and Crockett and Texas Big Game Awards allow for such measurements provided the break is a perfect match to the tine. You cannot put the time back on or have it repaired but rather have the broken piece to show and tell exactly how it fit and then it can be officially measured. Here is the photo of what I am talking about.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A comprehensive wildlife & habitat management company