Opening weekend success

Home Forums Deer, What Else? Opening weekend success

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Macy Ledbetter 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

Opening weekend of the general rifle season was outstanding by all accounts.  I measured some giant bucks and saw tons of Facebook posts and dozens of teIMG_2871xt photos.  I visited the local locker plant in San Saba and even saw several mature bucks!  It was a great weekend for sure, despite the heavy rains and thunderstorms.

Here is a buck from my own ranch in San Saba County.  He has twelve solid points, 20 2/8″ inside spread, 23″ beams and a gross score of 153 0/8″.  Three generations of hunters were sitting in a box blind when this big guy showed up and the four of them got a experience a great, great time together in the field.  Memories were made that will surely last forever and that makes me a very proud landowner and deer manager.

Macy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Melvin
    Participant

Very nice deer Macy…

I had a great time in the brush with my Uncle. Every time we get together I learn something new about our family.. Mostly good stuff! Anyway we didn’t drop the hammer on anything with horns, but did send a doe home with him. We did see some nice deer, and prolly one that will make the team. I didn’t draw a trophy tag on this ranch, so it will be a management buck for me.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Paul
    Participant

Great picture of the family Macy. I am an old man now and our granchildren are all from the city, are teens and care little for what fires my sparkplugs. Our daughters spent a lot of time on the ranches that we hunted when they were young but time and distance has separated them from the land. They are all good grandkids but none care much for hunting. You are fortunate to still have yours around. Cherish these days, they may not last forever.

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

As the human population expands and wild spaces are turned into asphalt or concrete, I can’t see how things will get much better moving forward. We as humans are breeding like rabbits and there is only so much space and resources available–our density is approaching the red line from a habitat perspective sort of speaking. There are those that still crave wild spaces and outdoors but they are in the minority now. Grandkids are being raised by one eyed babysitters (televisions) and not campfires or dark skies. Kids, generally speaking, can’t seem to function outside of the urban environments in which they are raised and soon enough, those kids turn into voters and investors.
    It is my hope that enough folks will fight to preserve the wild spaces and outdoor activities that our generation has grown up with and in moving forward. I certainly don’t see it when watching the news or visiting the concrete jungles but I still remain hopeful and semi positive that common sense and values prevail.

Macy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A comprehensive wildlife & habitat management company