Surveys have started!

Home Forums Deer, What Else? Surveys have started!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Macy Ledbetter 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

I am busy lately with helicopter deer surveys throughout north and central Texas. Antlers are above average and fawn survival is very high. Well managed properties are averaging 80-95% fawn survival so far so that means LOTS of harvesting this fall to make room for the new mouths and better genetics. I will keep you posted but don’t hesitate to post your survey photos here if you need help with age or just want to visit.

Macy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

Great deer all over central Texas! Look at this beast! About half of the bucks are already in hard antler and they are shedding right now.

Attachments:

Kegan
    Participant

Looking good Macy! We are conducting our second spotlight survey tonight. Numbers and quality are both looking good this year. Won’t be a shortage of shooting!

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

No sir, no shortage this year! Fawn survival is far above average this year so clean out the freezer, load more bullets and get ready!
    With the tall grass, be careful while spotlighting because fawns may be bedded in the grass and harder to see. Use a predator call or whistle to call when lone doe is observed.
    Oh, speaking of tall grass, watch your vehicle too so as to not start any grass fires!!!

Macy

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

Update: I flew several large mule deer ranches this past week in west Texas, Davis Mountains specifically. Mule deer numbers are up, fawn survival ranged from 73-90% (which is huge) and body conditions are excellent. Pronghorn antelope numbers were up slightly and blue quail were literally everywhere! The first day of flying we counted over 200 covies of blues. Aoudad numbers are up, again, and we did see a handful of elk calves. Elk antlers were excellent and we did see two or three real trophy bulls.
    It is going to be an excellent west Texas hunting season.

My next projects are southwest Texas whitetail surveys and captures. It is just starting the DMP capture season but the meat of it will be in November. From every indication so far, this is a statewide great year.

Macy

Kegan
    Participant

I’ll be looking forward to some Trans Pecos survey pictures! I love the diversity of wildlife and beautiful country!

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

Here are a few swamp donkeys I have seen just in the past three days. I am currently flying surveys in McMullen County. This is a fantastic year in the famed brush country this year and here are just a few of the better bucks. Every deer you see here is a native buck and they all are six to eight years old:

Macy

Attachments:

Kegan
    Participant

Great looking deer indeed!! This year will definitely be one to remember! We are seeing the best bucks we’ve seen before on our ranches, but more importantly a large number of good deer. My neighbor texted me a picture of a triple droptine buck this morning. Not something seen often on low fence hill country ranches, but again, this is a special year!

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

How do you like this photo? I posted it on my Facebook page and so far it is up to 35,000 views! That makes me laugh!

Attachments:

Melvin
    Participant

Awesome photo, and love the shed. Lets see if I can post a couple of Tom Green County bucks. Looks like a promising year shaping up. Might even get a quail or two, it has been awhile since we have had a hunt able number of them…

Attachments:

Kegan
    Participant

Looking good Melvin! Here’s some Mason County deer.

Attachments:

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

Excellent fellas, thank you Kegan and Melvin, beautiful bucks! This just may be one of the best deer hunting seasons in a very long time. I know it will be the best quail hunting season since 1987!!!! My eyes have grown crossed from counting all the quail this year!!

Here are a few La Salle County studs I found today in the rain:

Macy

Attachments:

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

And here is what the surveys are looking like for this weekend. I certainly know the rains are needed and how beneficial they are, but DA*#it, it sure it messing up my calendar! Oh well, it is dry way more than it is wet so I am will remain patient…..for now.

Macy

Attachments:

Macy Ledbetter
    Keymaster

Here are a few more recent photos:

Attachments:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A comprehensive wildlife & habitat management company